Drømmekage, also known as Dream Cake, is a traditional Danish cake made with a vanilla crumb base and topped with a caramel coconut spread. The cake originates in Hjallerup, Jutland in the 1960s and has since become a staple in the kitchen of many Danes.
The soft vanilla crumb and the rich caramel coconut topping contrast one another perfectly. The topping is chewy and deeply flavored, setting it apart from other sheet cakes. This cake is perfectly paired with a cup of tea or coffee.
Drømmekage (Dream Cake)
250 grams all-purpose flour
250 grams granulated sugar
50 grams unsalted butter
2 dl (4/5 cup) whole milk
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla sugar
125 grams unsalted butter
1/2 dl (1/5 cup) whole milk
200 grams brown sugar
100 grams sweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- Beat eggs and sugar in a large bowl.
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Once melted stir in the milk. Add this mixture to the eggs and sugar and mix to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and vanilla sugar. Pour into other bowl and mix into a smooth batter.
- Line a 9″x 13″pan with parchment paper and pour batter into pan. Bake for about 20-25 minutes.
- While cake is baking, prepare the caramel coconut topping. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in the milk and brown sugar. Bring to a boil and let boil for about 1 minute. Mix in the coconut flakes.
- Once cake is lightly golden after baking for 20-25 minutes, remove from the oven and evenly spread the caramel coconut mixture over the top. Bake for another 10-15 minutes, until the topping is a rich golden color.
- Let cool before serving.